archive-ca.com » CA » P » PSVA.CA

Total: 42

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Membership
    Click HERE to download PDF and Print Locally Membership Form Home Current Meeting Archives Events ParticipAction Membership Contacts

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/membership.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Meeting Mar 11 2016
    appeals was inappropriate and Wendy suggested it was not part of the PSVA mission To help members stay informed a link to the Central Elgin website portal will be included as information in the next e mail to the membership so that Candy and others can check themselves when variances are being requested vi The question of swapping properties was raised Some attendees were concerned that this was not mentioned in the PSVA proposal Nigel addressed this by mentioning that the PSVA stayed focused on the property at hand for now vii A question was raised regarding our next step The PSVA board will contact Central Elgin and get a clear understanding of what we can and should expect going forward and will ask Dan McNeil to let them know when the by law change is next on the agenda at a planning meeting Even though holding another public meeting may not be required the board will specifically ask CE to review any proposed changes re the design with the PSVA before making a decision b Archiving Materials Prespa Submission i Wendy stated that she will hold all pertinent information and material in a central location in case this goes to the OMB c Honorarium i Gail requested an honorarium for the person who produced the graphics used in the PSVA proposal It was agreed that 200 00 along with an appropriate card Gail will obtain be given Treasurer to provide a cheque to Gail when she provides the full name of the recipient d Yard Sale Dominion Bldg Victoria Day Weekend e Ted not in attendance Wendy mentioned that the Dominion building is not available In a previous meeting Mayor Dave Marr mentioned the possibility of a long term tenant for that building Dave McCarthy mentioned that the Legion parking lot will soon be a construction zone f Membership Growth i Wendy mentioned that the PSVA needs the support of people in Port Stanley The question was asked how do we resurrect lapse membership A group is needed to call lapsed members and mail membership forms out to them Wendy to look into direct mail program offered through Can Post Reprints of brochures on order through Andrew 4 New Business a Fundraising i Doug asked for fundraising ideas Andrew mentioned some success with a yard sale dance and rain barrels Other ideas included raffles maps t shirts a nd hats Fundraising will be discussed at the next meeting Funds would be used to pay incidentals for the PSVA also see Andrew s suggestion under New Business b Other New Business i Mark mentioned that vehicle speed is a concern on East Carlow and Sunset Dave mentioned that portable speed tracking signs are available Board to send a letter to the Ontario Provincial Police requesting assistance and for speed indication signs to be rotated through the village Copy C E Council and Community Policing ii Candy asked if we could get students involved in the designing of community spaces and

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meetingmar112016.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting Feb 11 2016
    i Ted explained that PSVA has organized a committee to analyse comment and make recommendations on the Prespa proposal The committee includes a lawyer architect landscape architect and municipal planner A lively discussion ensued 1 A public meeting will be held at the arena at 7 PM on March 1 to discuss the requested change to the bylaw An open information session will happen prior to the presentation Anyone can speak for or against the zoning change The report from the planner is posted on the Central Elgin website Council must make a decision within 120 days from the filing of the application a Mayor Marr pointed out that there will be a sign in sheet and only those who speak at the meeting or send an email or letter to Central Elgin on the issue will be able to speak at an OMB meeting should the issue go to that level Concerns can be sent to Diane Wilson at Central Elgin b Candy Hayward questioned adherence to the bylaws There are traffic and green space concerns c Dan McNeil pointed out that if people choose to present the choice as a nine storey building or no building at all we would lose at the OMB Prespa owns the property and so is allowed to build something on it People need to present a reasonable compromise d The municipality can put a temporary freeze on development but after that little change can be guaranteed Dan pointed out that Central Elgin is a lower tier government with no planning staff and so uses St Thomas chief planner He pointe dout that variances are a normal part of business e The question of Central Elgin swapping its parking area was discussed This would give Prespa south facing units and put the building

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meetingfeb112016.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  • Meeting Jan 14 2016
    etc Our higher taxes are due to the amount of roads and infrastructure paid for by a small population iii Central Elgin s strategic plan 1 Short Term a sport field for soccer holding spending to the MPAC increases developing greater cooperation with other municipalities such as St Thomas Southwold and Aylmer 2 Long Term re establish the Harbour Vision Committee publish goals for reaction promote tourism and business development develop Hofhuis Park by 2017 evaluate staffing and equipment grow the tax base and maintain a sustainable environment Dan feels that Central Elgin needs to have a regional view of its development 3 Harbour Vision Committee The committee is made up of diverse interests from the PSVA to Elgin County to farmers and fishermen to St Thomas and Central Elgin councillors All meetings are open to the public but observers are not able to take part in the discussion All meetings are posted one week prior to the date Check the Civic web portal on the upper right corner of the Central Elgin website 4 Erie Rest Beach Safety The Blue Flag Beach designation requires a beach committee There is a concern re boats on the water interfering with swimmers Although legally Central Elgin has no authority on the water it has established swimming areas that boaters respect No decision has been made on Erie Rest 5 Official Plan 2013 Central Elgin has no planning staff instead they contract Jim McCoombs from St Thomas The plan must be finalized before the bylaws can be changed At this point past bylaws are still on the books For example Port is designated seasonal use only so some people need a variance to a full calendar year designation to allow renovations Hopefully the new bylaws will come by next year All is quasi judicial with some powers but not others The province is gradually phasing out the OMB Elgin County has its own plan so the present route for decisions is Central Elgin to Elgin County to the OMB 6 Prespa is coming Monday January 18 to council to present its plans for the 9 storey 52 unit building with the first level as commercial on William Street This will raise issues concerning proper intensification as designated by the province traffic parking shadow village character and fire department service The first public meeting is tentatively booked for February 16 Dan expects several public meetings a Question Linda Easton asked about an earlier mention of swapping the Central Elgin parking lot with Prespa s land so the building would be backed by the hill Dan said that idea was not being discussed 7 Silo area This is brownfield land so requires remediation Central Elgin is clearing the area and then waiting for developers proposals Dan proposed a group of interested citizens organizing a plan for senior housing as was described on CBC s Sunday Edition A group of people built their own senior accommodation in Sooke BC 8 Question Candy Hayward asked about public

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meetingjan142016.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting P1 7Dec2015
    the berm before reinstating the committee was ignoring other important work happening on the harbour In keeping with this was a question about the various items upcoming on the harbour Janet will ask Dan McNeil to attend the next meeting to talk about them Andrew will prepare questions b Fishermen s Memorial Committee 1 Andrew s committee made a presentation to council who has deferred a decision to a budget committee discussion c Accessibility in the community Andrew Hibbert and Gail Lamb agreed to be on the committee d Entry Signage Andrew will meet with Central Elgin staff re location for the signs Fred Heinz volunteered to help Andrew with upgrade of signage e Dog Park decision in progress f Physical activity on the website Janet will check with Margo and write to Central Elgin re progress 4 Other Business a Janet asked for issues for 2016 i Ron Bates spoke of work he is doing on the large rock near the Fishermen s Memorial which is a Kiwanis memorial to the friendship between the U S and Canada He would like it moved forward and the area south of the bridge enhanced He has spoken to the mayor about

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meetingp17dec201.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 28Oct2015
    told there is a possibility of getting signage at Highway 401 and 4 due to new construction b Fishermen s Memorial Committee i Andrew and Dave met with Lloyd Perrin to inquire about the Fisherman s Memorial sign along Sunset Rd It is not clear whose property it is on Lloyd will investigate and report to the committee The memorial is on the agenda for next council meeting Dan McNeil said it will probably be accepted and referred to staff for budgeting Andrew was commended for the good report c Silo Update i Linda reported that she wrote a letter to portstanleynews com pointing out that the Central Elgin report on the silo referred to the PSVA in error as part of the proposal but PSVA had not sanctioned the project It was Linda as a private citizen that initiated the proposal to John Kudelka to make the silo a climbing tower In her letter she referred to Heritage Port as a supporter of the project but in fact they never officially support it Linda sent a letter of apology to Heritage Port for the error d Annual General Meeting for November i The annual general meeting was set for

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting28oct2015.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting Thursday, September 17, 2015
    as a vertical experience The project would involve installing in stages a quick jump an observation tower a zip line a family climbing area at the base and an expert climbing wall Sally Martyn spoke in favour of the project but other councilors were silent John was asking that one silo be left in place to give him time to create a detailed business plan This is not a PSVA initiative but Heritage Port supports preserving one silo Discussion followed and it was proposed that Linda contact Sally Martyn to discuss the possibility of some cost sharing arrangement between John and Central Elgin d West Breakwater i Linda proposed that a letter be sent to Central Elgin to congratulate them on the opening of the repaired breakwater It was agreed that she compose a letter of congratulations to council It was noted that vandals had already stolen safety equipment from its place on the pier It was suggested that cameras be installed e Spring Yard Sale i Ted Halwa has proposed that Port Stanley hold a spring yard sale using the DOC building and charging people for tables There was support for the idea but it was agreed that much more advertising needed to be done to alert Port Stanley residents of the project Other years few have taken part Should this be a BIA activity f Succession Plan i Janet raised the issue of replacing Linda as president and adding more directors to the board Gail Lamb agreed to be a director as did Wendy MacMillan but Wendy is unable to attend on the third Thursday of the month and after discussion it was agreed to change the meetings to the second Thursday of the month Other names were also suggested as directors Janet proposed reconvening the committee of

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meetingthursday,.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 20 Aug 2015
    building was discussed Dr Rob Burns has begun to move forward with an application to designate the DOC building as an historical building and also to add a sign explaining the history of the building Sally commented that although the building appeared to meet requirements for historical designation Council are very unlikely to proceed with the designation until the use of the building is more clear within the future plan for the harbour however putting up a sign in the interim might be a possibility Sally and Rob are both on the Heritage Central Elgin Committee and Rob is collecting the history of the building for this committee Sally said that she and Rob will pursue the provision of a sign in the short term through the committee There was discussion about the minimal use of the building at the moment and a desire to use it for community activities such as a market However there is no running water or washrooms and funding for this is unlikely to be assigned until future harbour plans are more clear d Fishing on the Pier i Andrew had written an article in the Beacon about allowing recreational fishing on the new pier an activity that he felt was very popular with both residents and visitors to Port Stanley Sally felt that fishing on the lakeside of the pier which is sloped would not be permitted by Council for safety reasons It is possible that it would be allowed on the harbour side Attendees felt that many fishing enthusiasts would prefer to fish on the harbour side Terri suggested that fish cleaning equipment should be made available as it is in many locations in the US to encourage and welcome enthusiasts and bring them into the village as happens in Port Bruce and Port Burwell Sally suggested that the PSVA let council know of these suggestions for fishing from the pier This could be done through a delegation The PSVA could also make a presentation to the Harbour Visioning Committee if it is re established this could also include fishing from the Berm area when it is turned into parkland The completion of the work and the opening ceremony for the pier is delayed from August 29th due to recent wind and rain A new date will probably be discussed at the next Council meeting e Erie Rest Beach Safety i Linda reported that she had seen a pleasure boat and 5 skidoos parked in the swimming area at the public beach at Erie Rest and felt that this was a safety issue for swimmers especially for children She had written a personal email to Don Leitch about the potential safety issue but has not received a reply yet Linda wondered if buoys could be added to mark the public swimming area and discourage people from taking boats and skidoos into the zone Those present agreed that Linda should write to Don again this time on behalf of the PSVA to pursue this

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting20aug2015.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •