archive-ca.com » CA » P » PSVA.CA

Total: 42

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Meeting 16 July 2015
    the plan on the heritage district will be included in council s report People who want a building permit will get a recommendation that they pay attention to surrounding architecture There are already some height restrictions depending on the zone If there is a request to build more than two levels it would require a variance f Membership A letter has gone out to those who have not renewed their membership Accurate numbers will be ready for next meeting At that point those who have not renewed will be personally contacted g Dog Park Harry has been in touch with Ultramar about the property on Catherine Street They have not determined the future land use partly because of the question of environmental pollution A representative will be coming in July to inspect the property and Harry will meet with him h Fire Station Dan pointed out that council is looking for a new location for the fire station No site has been selected yet i Signage at Port Entry Andrew has created a new design for the entry sign into the village He will be presenting this to council The signs will be paid for by the BIA Lions Club and PSVA There was also discussion on the need for a new service group sign Andrew will also create posters for PSVA and Heritage Port to install in the library and other locations j Signage on the 401 Bruce presented a very thorough report on the signage in the surrounding area to see if people were being directed to Port Stanley Highway 4 ends at Talbotville so because it becomes Sunset Road it is not the MTO s responsibility Elgin County is responsible for signage outside Central Elgin It was recommended that Linda direct a letter to Jeff Yurek requesting

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting16july201.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Meeting 18 June 2015
    the plan on the heritage district will be included in council s report People who want a building permit will get a recommendation that they pay attention to surrounding architecture There are already some height restrictions depending on the zone If there is a request to build more than two levels it would require a variance f Membership A letter has gone out to those who have not renewed their membership Accurate numbers will be ready for next meeting At that point those who have not renewed will be personally contacted g Dog Park Harry has been in touch with Ultramar about the property on Catherine Street They have not determined the future land use partly because of the question of environmental pollution A representative will be coming in July to inspect the property and Harry will meet with him h Fire Station Dan pointed out that council is looking for a new location for the fire station No site has been selected yet i Signage at Port Entry Andrew has created a new design for the entry sign into the village He will be presenting this to council The signs will be paid for by the BIA Lions Club and PSVA There was also discussion on the need for a new service group sign Andrew will also create posters for PSVA and Heritage Port to install in the library and other locations j Signage on the 401 Bruce presented a very thorough report on the signage in the surrounding area to see if people were being directed to Port Stanley Highway 4 ends at Talbotville so because it becomes Sunset Road it is not the MTO s responsibility Elgin County is responsible for signage outside Central Elgin It was recommended that Linda direct a letter to Jeff Yurek requesting

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting18june201.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 19April2015
    out water in the harbour as it has to be below the water line c Dog Park update i Harry contacted the owners of the property Ultramar who said they will assess and determine if they will build or allow a dog park The area is on Catherine St at the corner of Warren St south east of the bridge The Lions Club has committed 5000 towards the project 4 a Physical Activity List on Website i Margo has posted the list on the PSVA website with links or phone numbers b DOC Building Signage i Heritage Port has some historical signage planned for the Bessemer monolith and the Stork Club Linda will contact Diane Wilson re a decision on the proposal for a banner on the DOC building c KCCA Spelling Fundraiser April 25 1 PSVA people did not volunteer for the SpellBound team so Linda joined The Port Stanley Festival Theatre team The New Orthographers d P S Public School Package i Dave would like to put together an information and gift package for the new French students coming to the school next September This package would be given to all students but would include such things as a map a letter of welcome and coupons The principal is amenable and Dave and Andrew will liaise to work out the package and present the proposal to the BIA on April 22 e Work on the Berm i The mess resulting from the whipper snipper tree cutting has been cleaned up As for the concern about the trees that have been cut Dan pointed out that all vegetation will be cut down because the berm has to be capped as part of the environmental reclaimation ii The trees taken down in front of the theatre were ash f Membership

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting19april20.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  • Meeting 19Mar2015
    Elgin County or partner with another organization such as Elgin County Archives and Museum e Physical Activity List on Website i Margo emailed that she has been gathering lists of physical activities happening in Port and it is surprisingly long list It was suggested that the legion may be willing to set up bocce ball games on the front lawn The list will be posted on the PSVA website at the beginning of April f DOC Building Signage i Dave said he spoke to Heritage Port about their placing an historical plaque on the DOC building but did not get agreement Elgin County assigns historical plaques There seemed to be some confusion over what had been requested The PSVA was suggesting an historical plaque that would describe the origins of the building as a government customs inspection house The idea of Heritage Port fundraising by selling homeowner s plaques that would state the original owner of their house was also discussed 4 New business a KCCA Spelling Fundraiser April 25 i A few people indicated interest in being part of a team for this event We need six team members Any members interested ii Elizabeth Vanhooren sent details on the event The Kettle Creek Environmental Trust is organizing SpellBound April 25 2015 It is a team orientated spelling bee that will help raise funds for wetland creation restoration in the Kettle Creek watershed The spelling bee is entirely meant for fun The cost is 50 per participant Each team of six will be placed at a round table This allows team members to collaborate on their spelling of each word There will be rounds of spelling words given Each round will be based on a different theme For instance the first round of words may be environmental based the next round may involve words relative to one of our major sponsors Your team s answers will be provided to the judges and then results for each round posted on a screen There is a bar which may help hinder the spelling Teams are encouraged to come up with a snazzy team name We already have the Spellicans registered And if you are really game there will be prizes for the best named team and possibly the best dressed team There will also be a Silent Auction of some really great items like Opera tickets We can supply charitable receipts for the team registration Jeff Yurek s office KCCA Elgin Chrysler Knights of Columbus and Weekly News are already registered b Public School Clean Up Day April 16 i Some people will attend the clean up There was discussion about snacks for the students since the Wharf is no longer there to provide food Nigel mentioned that the Lions Club has funded 100 for food for the event c Work on the Berm i Andrew wrote an article in the Lake Erie Beacon about the work happening on the berm The major task is to eliminate the tall grasses there that

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting19mar2015.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 15Jan2015
    that may be a source of funding for keeping a silo They have application forms that require a non profit organization s request It was suggested that if such funding were found Central Elgin may be more agreeable to saving the silo PSVA does not have non profit status but it was decided that Ted could make the application anyway b Membership Renewals i Janet is working on the membership

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting15jan2015.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 18Dec2014
    Ted Halwa reported that nothing is decided They are trying to resolve issues arising if the silo is saved as an observation tower There are only three others in Ontario Brock s Monument Tobermory and the CN tower There would be a significant expenditure and so they are looking for sources of funding They are asking if all the silos are necessary to form the basin for the area to hold the dredgate The silo is on the council agenda for the second week of January The demolition is scheduled for March Yarmouth Crane is to disassembling all but the concrete That equipment is being sold any left will be sold as scrap metal b Accessibility i Andrew discussed the lack of accessibility in Port Stanley for wheel chair access No hotel rooms here are accessible Ramps need to be 30 in depth Sally Martyn is now chair of the Elgin County committee on accessibility c Dog Park a Harry is still working on the Lions project and should know in March d Membership Renewals a Janet has not had time to go over the list but will report in January e Events on the Website a The question of

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting18dec2014.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 20Nov2014
    bike trails not walking trails The new entrance sign should have a media image associated with Port Stanley c Dog Park Harry has been looking at many options for a dog park in Port Stanley He has a possible site on Catherine St which he will know more about by March Harry said that the Lion s Club would donate money towards a dog park Harry is also looking into a beach area for the dogs d Lighthouse Linda The Federal Government is divesting itself of most lighthouses The PSVA collected signatures and sent them on to Central Elgin and Parks Canada Fisheries and Oceans to begin the transfer of Port Stanley s lighthouse to Central Elgin The lighthouse has lead paint which needs to be eliminated before it is approved for transfer e Election of directors The new board of directors is made up of Andrew Hibbert Margo Karda Darcy Taylor Vedova Harry Bishop David McCarthy Joe Fournier Janet Kennedy and Linda Easton 4 New Business f Silos Ted Halwa Ted presented his vision of keeping one silo as a prominent tower that could be seen from a distance by boaters and public He proposed an observation deck on the top and possibly a café at the bottom for people to enjoy Issues were brought up about accessibility to the top which would require the cost of a elevator and also the cost of maintaining the structure itself Central Elgin Council will be voting on this in December or January g Port Stanley Public School Sheila Pinder principal of the Port Stanley Public School gave an overview of the situation She described the wide variety of services offered in the school with its access to all the services Thames Valley DSB has available There were two rumours she put to rest The rumor of the school closing is not an issue at this point She has had no indication of school closure but there will be a normal 5 year review happening in a year Sheila is requesting an expansion of the school boundaries The other rumour is that the board is no longer maintaining the school but she said that the school is being well maintained and has been newly painted with new blinds replacing old curtains in classrooms and repairs are being made to a washroom Sheila said she is happy to be in a school so very well taken care of and with a supportive staff The classes are small which gives the teachers a chance to know the children and their needs There are many musical instruments for the children to use and 10 new iPads were bought for the students this year Sheila said that students from the new Mitchell Hepburn subdivision will be bussed to Port Stanley for school The school now has 85 students but can accommodate about 350 Linda Easton mentioned that the school has the advantage of being next door to an arena having town water and sewers and within

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting20nov2014.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Meeting 16Oct2014
    Awaiting approval 3 Shoreline Walk No new Information The MPP who sponsored the bill has stepped down 4 Spring Clean Up PSVA will partner with the school for this clean up Awaiting a date 5 HCD Proposal On Hold 6 Correspondence Re Stench from Tanks It was agreed by other directors and members that there is a smell Nigel forwarded an email for people to send complaints and concerns to or 7 Town Signage Agreed by directors and members to give BIA 250 for signage but to also have Andrew submits his drawings to them Linda will send a letter to the BIA New Business Dance at School Nigel wants to use the school gym for dance lessons Nigel approached the school and is looking into the insurance It was voted that PSVA will support Nigel in this He will find out if it is cheaper to use board insurance or be covered under the PSVA insurance Dan McNeil s Report To PSVA Dan reported on the latest meeting of the Habour VisionCommittee Berm Work will hopefully start in 2016 The present environmental report will not be completed by the deadline but must be submitted to the MOE and so

    Original URL path: http://www.psva.ca/meeting16oct2014.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •